Parramatta Park

World Heritage Listing

Parramatta Park is one of 11 sites that form the Australian Convict Sites World Heritage Property inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List on 31 July 2010. These are a series of eleven outstanding heritage places across Australia. Collectively they are representative of the global phenomenon of the forced migration of convicts.

Australian Convict Sites

The sites included in the serial listing are:

  1. Kingston and Arthur’s Vale Historic Area, Norfolk Island (1788–1814 and 1824–55)

  2. Old Government House and Domain, Parramatta Park NSW (1788–1856)

  3. Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney NSW (1819–48)

  4. Brickendon-Woolmers Estates, Longford Tas (1820–50s)

  5. Darlington Probation Station, Maria Island National Park Tas (1825–32 and 1842–50)

  6. Old Great North Road, Wiseman’s Ferry NSW (1828–35)

  7. Cascades Female Factory, Mount Wellington Tas (1828–56)

  8. Port Arthur Historic Site, Port Arthur Tas (1830–77)

  9. Coal Mines Historic Site, Norfolk Bay Tas (1833–48)

  10. Cockatoo Island Convict Site, Sydney NSW (1839–69)

  11. Fremantle Prison, Fremantle WA (1852–86)

Each site represents key elements of the story of forced migration of convicts and is associated with global ideas and practices relating to punishment and reform of criminal elements of society during the modern era. The 11 sites that form the Australian Convict Sites World Heritage Property are outstanding examples of this story in Australia’s rich convict history, however, more than 3,000 other convict sites still remain around Australia. This is unique in the world today.

The transportation of convicts to penal colonies dates back to the 17th century and continued up until 1938. Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Russia and Argentina transported criminals to penal colonies across the world. British transportation to Australia was the world’s first conscious attempt to build a new society on the labour of convicted prisoners. Some 160,000 men, women and children were transported to Australia over a period of 80 years between 1787 and 1868.

All of the 11 sites included in this World Heritage inscription are also listed on the Australian National Heritage List and are protected by Commonwealth, state and territory legislation and site management plans.

Find out more:

Shaping the Domain - World Heritage 1788-1856 (3MB)

Shaping the Domain - The Macquarie Legacy 1810-1821 (5MB)

Shaping the Domain - The Parramatta Observatory 1821-1848 (2MB)

@parrapark

Get Parrapark News